Thursday, March 6, 2008

The One Row Scarf

It baffles me what interests and captures the attention of the junior high knitter. I'm always bringing in ideas, easy patterns, showing websites, etc. Most of the time it's received with lukewarm attention. They're polite. They come over to the computer to look at it. Make a few comments. And then nothing. I thought the ballband dishcloth would be so fun for them to do, but not one took it up. Then I come in with the pattern for Stephanie Pearl-MchPhee's One Row Handspun Scarf. I hand it over to a student on a piece of scratch paper. I say, "Here, try this." She humors me. Next thing I know, she's taken off with this scarf and finishes it in a matter of days (which is warp speed in junior high knitting). Everyone declares it as having the look of "store bought," which in my class is a huge complement. And the NEXT thing I know, there are two more of the same project being started. Here is the first scarf (which has already been gifted) of this little trend.

Bernat's Softee Chunky.

And here are the others.

Bernat's Softee Chunky. With a hat of her own design. This set has also been gifted to a lucky recipient.


Lion Brand's Jiffy.

My envy rises as I continue to admire these scarves and I make the comment, "I want to make one of these," when a student promptly reminds me that I keep on saying that. (Smart alec.) So I go home and start one myself.


Paton's Divine.

No comments: